We’re only 2 months into 2019, but things are already hot VR-wise. 2018 was such a great year for VR with games like Firewall, Creed, Budget Cuts and Astro Bot drawing in a massive crowd of gamers to the immersive platform. Game developers are taking full advantage of VR’s popularity to create engaging games. Even though there are no major VR hardware expected to be released in 2019, the year is shaping up to be a great year for content to shine. Here at vrheadsetauthority.com, we have followed the rumors and big announcements of big games that will be released this year. Therefore, if you’re trying to jump into implausible worlds and take your exploration to the next level of immersion, you’re reading the right article.
VR headsets are only as good as the experiences they give users. We have rounded up a comprehensive list of VR games we’re excited about. These are the VR games that drew us in, and proved to be worth every cent. The games cover exploration, action, arcade and simulation genres and all the 4 major VR systems: Oculus Rift, HTC Vive, Windows Mixed Reality and PSVR.
Keep in mind that if you choose the Oculus Rift, HTC Vive or a Windows Mixed Reality headset, you may need a powerful gaming PC with top of the line GPU, a speedy CPU and at least 3 USB ports to connect all the peripherals. VR gaming is becoming more and more accessible as PC requirements continue to become less costly. If you opt for PSVR, all you need is a PS4 or PS4 Pro console and you’re good to go!
Top 10 Virtual Reality Games of 2019
We know how overwhelming it is to discover truly immersive VR experiences so we’ve compiled a list of 10 of the best VR games available today.
- EVE: Valkyrie – Warzone
Here is something for action gamers. Available for PSVR, Oculus Rift and HTC Vive, this space-based dogfighting game lets you take control of a spaceship. Something that makes EVE to have an edge over its competition is its awe-inspiring visuals. To play, you will be needed to avoid collisions as you fight your way through enemies.
It includes both single-player and multiplayer modes. The multiplayer options include Carrier Assault, Team Deathmatch, Wormhole, Extraction and Control game modes. You can control how you want to personalize your ship as you progress through the levels.
- Borderlands 2
Featuring the comic book-like graphics from the original game, Borderlands 2 will let you battle out monsters with your customized weapons, guns and rifles. Choose from one of the four playable classes – Assassin, Commando, Siren and Gunzerker.
You will enter the world Pandora and have a new responsibility as a treasure-seeking vault hunter challenging Handsome Jack –the galaxy’s most charming psychopathic dictator with your arsenal of weapons. The slow-mo ability in this version will help you slow down as you get ready for your next attack.
The game is out on PSVR and it will be available on Oculus Rift and HTC Vive later in the year.
- Beat Saber
This fast music and rhythm game developed by Beat Games is compatible with the entire 4 major VR headsets. It sold 100k+ copies within the first month of release. If music and motion are your thing, you should definitely try this game. It has a set up that is similar to other music games like Guitar Hero and Audiosurf.
Slash your way through music using virtual laser swords with two motion controllers that you need to swipe in the air horizontally or vertically. Here is how it works: as the music plays, the game generates various patterns of color-coded blocks on your screen. As they slide towards you, you’re required to hit the blocks with the correct controller. You will also come across obstacles that will force you to slide away or duck.
The game comes with 10 songs but you can use a track editor to load your own custom songs from within the game or better yet download your playlist from the internet.
- Rec Room
Primarily designed as a social experience, Rec Room offers you a free and low-impact social sandbox of objects to interact with, places to go, mini-games to play with others online or solo, and things to pick up and toss.
Perfect for a small room setting, you either can play this game from a standing or seated position. You can play it on your PSVR, HTC Vive or Oculus Rift.
Best known as the first VR game to use the PlayStation VR Aim Controller, Farpoint is growing to be a favorite among gamers. The VR Aim gun-shaped controller has motion sensing and vibration feedback to enhance your shooting experience. According to Sony, this game can track player movements on 1:1 scale. What this basically means is that you will experience a more realistic feel to Farpoint shooting mechanics.
To play this game, you are required to survive fatal enemy encounters while maneuvering deadly alien environment. The mission is to find out what happened to the rest of your research team.
- Minecraft VR
You have probably played Minecraft on different platforms and you game play it on your Windows Mixed Reality or Oculus Rift headset.
This creation, exploration and survival game adds a series of customized control enhancements for the VR platforms. These enhancements include VR turning, 3D audio, VR Control and virtual living room mode. This game also supports multiplayer game modes if you want to enjoy the experience with your pals.
- Space Pirate Trainer
This is another game in this list that is available on all the 4 major VR headsets. Specifically created for the VR experience, this arcade shooter requires you use your dual blasters and other weapons to shoot down incoming space enemies. What makes this sci-fi pirate themed game stand out is the animated and realistic art style that blends well with the fast-paced action.
The more you shoot, the higher you climb on the Space Pirate leaderboard. Besides shooting, you also need to dodge incoming attacks physically and return fire at the droids.
- Robo Recall
Exclusively available for the Oculus Rift, Robo Call is an action packed game that requires you to kill all the enemy combatants with an arsenal of weapons. You are the newest member of the RoboReady’s Recall Department in the heart of a robot rebellion. This game stands out due to its fast-paced action, accurate motion controls and excellent visual effects.
To play the game, your work is to defend rooftops and streets by getting rid of violent bots. The game has pretty difficult challenges and in order to get high scores, you need to upgrade your weapons and try incorporating advanced combat techniques.
- Project Cars 2
If you are into car racing, you should try out Project Cars 2 by Slightly Mad Studios. Optimized for both Oculus Rift and HTC Vive, this follow up to Project Cars straps you into the driver’s seat and lets you gain full control of the car. The selling point of this game is its expansive 180+ car line up including the Ford GT and Acura NSX, and the environmental and visual effects.
Project Cars 2 recreates the thrill of real world driving to provide you a realistic, circuit racing experience. Notable features you will love include positioning of your hands on the steering wheel, the terrain and weather systems, and breaking assistance systems. If you prefer absolute realism, disable the HUD.
- Bravo Team
Action lovers here we go again! Bravo Team is an intense 2-player tactical shooter that will force you to fight off the enemy as you traverse through a war-torn Eastern European city. What makes this game stand out is the option for co-op play and cover based shooting.
Unlike other shooters that have freewheeling locomotion options, you will have to take cover and use automatic movement. You can use the DualShock 4 controller or PSVR Aim Controller if you own one. The amount and strength of the enemy may have you think twice about taking a cover position in a certain position. Bravo Team is exclusively available on PSVR.
Gamers are very demanding. They want the best action, characters, graphics, and music. Game franchises have continually remained popular because they cater to the varying needs of their consumers. With VR taking over every industry, gaming included, established names in the gaming field have decided to launch VR versions of their titles. There are also newcomers who have entered the market directly with VR games.
There are many more VR games expected to hit shelves in the coming months, but the 10 games in our list represent already released titles that you should give a try.
- Dual Game Mode i.e. VR and Normal Mode!
- Advanced live animated main menu!
- Stunning 3D graphics and Real Sound effects!
- Jump into roller coaster and start the ride!
- Runs smoothly on all devices!
- Manage a living, breathing town.
- Meet interesting, quirky residents. Make friends! Make enemies!
- Dynamic weather, seasons, and moon phases. Watch their little world change just like your own!
- Collect dozens of rare insects, gems, and botanical species. Restore the town Museum.
- Build and decorate your crib. Make it awesome. Fill it with stuff.
- FLEXIBLE PLAY AREA - Use VIVE seated, standing or in a space up to 11'5" x 11'5". SteamVR Tracking provides the most ideal experience possible, so play the way that works for you.
- FULLY IMMERSIVE - Realistic movement and actions from precise, 360-degree controller and headset tracking with realistic graphics, directional audio and HD haptic feedback in the virtual world
- POWERED BY STEAM VR - Enjoy over 1500 games for SteamVR, plus everything you love about Steam, including new releases, automatic game updates and millions of your closest friends
- PLAY SAFER - The Chaperone system warns you when you reach the boundaries of your play area and the headset's front-facing camera gives you a glimpse of the real-world when you need it
- VIVE VIDEO - An immersive, cinematic VR video player for standard, 3D, 180 and 360 degree videos. Available free on VIVEPORT and Steam.
- ASTRO BOT Rescue Mission is a brand new platformer, developed exclusively for use with PS VR with gameplay unfolding around you in 360 degrees
- Moss is an action adventure puzzle game tailor made for the VR platform that will transport you to expansive environments brimming with beguiling creatures and take you on a journey to help a young mouse named Quill
- Bundle includes PlayStation VR headset, PlayStation Camera, Demo Disc 2.0, ASTRO BOT Rescue Mission Blue Ray Disc and Moss game voucher
- AUGMENTED REALITY: Awaken your inner Jedi with Star Wars: Jedi Challenges, a smartphone powered augmented reality experience that brings an all-new Star Wars experience right into your home. Simply start the app, put on the headset, and begin your journey. Immerse yourself in three epic experiences: Lightsaber Battles, Holochess, and Strategic Combat
- LIGHTSABER BATTLES: Perfect your lightsaber skills by taking on some of the most menacing villains the dark side has to offer. Engage other players in intense 1-on-1 local multiplayer battles in the new Lightsaber Versus Mode
- HOLOCHESS: Train your mind in the ultimate game of concentration and strategy, as first seen in Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope
- STRATEGIC COMBAT: Test your skills as a military strategist and command armies against enemy troops in large-scale ground wars
- PHONE COMPATIBILITY: Star Wars: Jedi Challenges is a smartphone-powered experience compatible with select Android and iOS devices. Currently Validated Phones: iPhone XS, iPhone X, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6. Samsung Galaxy S9, S8, Samsung Galaxy S7 edge, Samsung Galaxy S7, Google Pixel XL, Google Pixel, Moto Z2 Force, Moto Z, LG G6. Mate 10, Mate 10 Pro, Nova 2S, Xiaomi MIX2, Sony Xperia XZ1
- Personal Viewing: The littlest, big screen. Crystal clear optics and state-of-the-art 3D graphics make your headset feel more like a personal theater
- Viewing with Friends: Watch with friends. Meet up in VR with friends and fans from around the world to catch live sports, concerts, or just your favorite TV show
- Portable & Easy to use: Ready when you are. Experience portable, all-in-one VR. That means no PC, phone, wires or hassles
- Controller: Effortless control. Whether it's navigating to your favorite shows or to a far-off land, the intuitive controller makes getting there a cinch
- Built-In Audio: Surrounded by sound. Spatial audio drivers are built right into the headset, providing dramatic, immersive sound without the need for bulky or tangled headphones. Oculus Go also features a 3.5 mm audio jack
- - Play for FREE!
- - Design dream homes complete with swimming pools and multiple stories
- - Let your Sims get married, make babies, and then watch them grow from Babies to Seniors
- - Get to know your Sims and give them unique personalities for them to live out their Life Dreams
- - Visit your real friends' Sim Towns! Complete goals, form new relationships and compare your friends' interior design skills against yours!
- Games Come First. With gamers in mind, PlayStation delivers a new world of unexpected gaming experiences through PlayStation VR. Play some of the most highly anticipated titles coming soon to PS VR.
- Just Plug and Play. Getting into PlayStation VR couldn't be easier. Just plug the PlayStation VR headset and your PlayStation Camera into your PlayStation 4 system. You're ready to go.
- Advanced VR Display. Seamless visuals keep you connected to the virtual world through an expansive 5.7" OLED 1080p display running at up to 120 frames per second.The LEDs around the PlayStation VR headset, on the DUALSHOCK 4 wireless controller
- Go nose to nose with a great white shark, crawl through decaying space hulks, weave between oncoming traffic, survive a futuristic sport or take part in a gritty London gangster thriller
- Contains: PlayStation VR headset, Processor unit, PlayStation VR headset connection cable, HDMI cable, USB cable, Stereo headphones, AC power cord, AC adaptor, PlayStation VR Demo Disc
- Games Come First - With gamers in mind, PlayStation delivers a new world of unexpected gaming experiences through PlayStation VR
- Just Plug and Play - Getting into PlayStation VR couldn't be easier. Just plug the PlayStation VR headset and your PlayStation Camera into your PlayStation 4 system. Sold separately
- Advanced VR Display - Seamless visuals keep you connected to the virtual world through an expansive 5.7" OLED 1080p display running at up to 120 frames per second
- 3D Audio Technology - 3D Audio with PlayStation VR means that you'll be able to pinpoint sounds above, below, and all around you
- - Use 360 °
- - Overview
- - Gyroscopic sensor device use to navigate the video
- - Play and stream videos online
- - 4K HD High Resolution Video