We’re only 2 months into 2019, but things are already hot VR-wise. 2018 was such a great year for VR with games like Firewall, Creed, Budget Cuts and Astro Bot drawing in a massive crowd of gamers to the immersive platform. Game developers are taking full advantage of VR’s popularity to create engaging games. Even though there are no major VR hardware expected to be released in 2019, the year is shaping up to be a great year for content to shine. Here at vrheadsetauthority.com, we have followed the rumors and big announcements of big games that will be released this year. Therefore, if you’re trying to jump into implausible worlds and take your exploration to the next level of immersion, you’re reading the right article.
VR headsets are only as good as the experiences they give users. We have rounded up a comprehensive list of VR games we’re excited about. These are the VR games that drew us in, and proved to be worth every cent. The games cover exploration, action, arcade and simulation genres and all the 4 major VR systems: Oculus Rift, HTC Vive, Windows Mixed Reality and PSVR.
Keep in mind that if you choose the Oculus Rift, HTC Vive or a Windows Mixed Reality headset, you may need a powerful gaming PC with top of the line GPU, a speedy CPU and at least 3 USB ports to connect all the peripherals. VR gaming is becoming more and more accessible as PC requirements continue to become less costly. If you opt for PSVR, all you need is a PS4 or PS4 Pro console and you’re good to go!
Top 10 Virtual Reality Games of 2019
We know how overwhelming it is to discover truly immersive VR experiences so we’ve compiled a list of 10 of the best VR games available today.
- EVE: Valkyrie – Warzone
Here is something for action gamers. Available for PSVR, Oculus Rift and HTC Vive, this space-based dogfighting game lets you take control of a spaceship. Something that makes EVE to have an edge over its competition is its awe-inspiring visuals. To play, you will be needed to avoid collisions as you fight your way through enemies.
It includes both single-player and multiplayer modes. The multiplayer options include Carrier Assault, Team Deathmatch, Wormhole, Extraction and Control game modes. You can control how you want to personalize your ship as you progress through the levels.
- Borderlands 2
Featuring the comic book-like graphics from the original game, Borderlands 2 will let you battle out monsters with your customized weapons, guns and rifles. Choose from one of the four playable classes – Assassin, Commando, Siren and Gunzerker.
You will enter the world Pandora and have a new responsibility as a treasure-seeking vault hunter challenging Handsome Jack –the galaxy’s most charming psychopathic dictator with your arsenal of weapons. The slow-mo ability in this version will help you slow down as you get ready for your next attack.
The game is out on PSVR and it will be available on Oculus Rift and HTC Vive later in the year.
- Beat Saber
This fast music and rhythm game developed by Beat Games is compatible with the entire 4 major VR headsets. It sold 100k+ copies within the first month of release. If music and motion are your thing, you should definitely try this game. It has a set up that is similar to other music games like Guitar Hero and Audiosurf.
Slash your way through music using virtual laser swords with two motion controllers that you need to swipe in the air horizontally or vertically. Here is how it works: as the music plays, the game generates various patterns of color-coded blocks on your screen. As they slide towards you, you’re required to hit the blocks with the correct controller. You will also come across obstacles that will force you to slide away or duck.
The game comes with 10 songs but you can use a track editor to load your own custom songs from within the game or better yet download your playlist from the internet.
- Rec Room
Primarily designed as a social experience, Rec Room offers you a free and low-impact social sandbox of objects to interact with, places to go, mini-games to play with others online or solo, and things to pick up and toss.
Perfect for a small room setting, you either can play this game from a standing or seated position. You can play it on your PSVR, HTC Vive or Oculus Rift.
Best known as the first VR game to use the PlayStation VR Aim Controller, Farpoint is growing to be a favorite among gamers. The VR Aim gun-shaped controller has motion sensing and vibration feedback to enhance your shooting experience. According to Sony, this game can track player movements on 1:1 scale. What this basically means is that you will experience a more realistic feel to Farpoint shooting mechanics.
To play this game, you are required to survive fatal enemy encounters while maneuvering deadly alien environment. The mission is to find out what happened to the rest of your research team.
- Minecraft VR
You have probably played Minecraft on different platforms and you game play it on your Windows Mixed Reality or Oculus Rift headset.
This creation, exploration and survival game adds a series of customized control enhancements for the VR platforms. These enhancements include VR turning, 3D audio, VR Control and virtual living room mode. This game also supports multiplayer game modes if you want to enjoy the experience with your pals.
- Space Pirate Trainer
This is another game in this list that is available on all the 4 major VR headsets. Specifically created for the VR experience, this arcade shooter requires you use your dual blasters and other weapons to shoot down incoming space enemies. What makes this sci-fi pirate themed game stand out is the animated and realistic art style that blends well with the fast-paced action.
The more you shoot, the higher you climb on the Space Pirate leaderboard. Besides shooting, you also need to dodge incoming attacks physically and return fire at the droids.
- Robo Recall
Exclusively available for the Oculus Rift, Robo Call is an action packed game that requires you to kill all the enemy combatants with an arsenal of weapons. You are the newest member of the RoboReady’s Recall Department in the heart of a robot rebellion. This game stands out due to its fast-paced action, accurate motion controls and excellent visual effects.
To play the game, your work is to defend rooftops and streets by getting rid of violent bots. The game has pretty difficult challenges and in order to get high scores, you need to upgrade your weapons and try incorporating advanced combat techniques.
- Project Cars 2
If you are into car racing, you should try out Project Cars 2 by Slightly Mad Studios. Optimized for both Oculus Rift and HTC Vive, this follow up to Project Cars straps you into the driver’s seat and lets you gain full control of the car. The selling point of this game is its expansive 180+ car line up including the Ford GT and Acura NSX, and the environmental and visual effects.
Project Cars 2 recreates the thrill of real world driving to provide you a realistic, circuit racing experience. Notable features you will love include positioning of your hands on the steering wheel, the terrain and weather systems, and breaking assistance systems. If you prefer absolute realism, disable the HUD.
- Bravo Team
Action lovers here we go again! Bravo Team is an intense 2-player tactical shooter that will force you to fight off the enemy as you traverse through a war-torn Eastern European city. What makes this game stand out is the option for co-op play and cover based shooting.
Unlike other shooters that have freewheeling locomotion options, you will have to take cover and use automatic movement. You can use the DualShock 4 controller or PSVR Aim Controller if you own one. The amount and strength of the enemy may have you think twice about taking a cover position in a certain position. Bravo Team is exclusively available on PSVR.
Gamers are very demanding. They want the best action, characters, graphics, and music. Game franchises have continually remained popular because they cater to the varying needs of their consumers. With VR taking over every industry, gaming included, established names in the gaming field have decided to launch VR versions of their titles. There are also newcomers who have entered the market directly with VR games.
There are many more VR games expected to hit shelves in the coming months, but the 10 games in our list represent already released titles that you should give a try.
- All-in-one VR: No PC. No wires. No limits. Oculus Quest is an all-in-one gaming system built for virtual reality. Now you can play almost anywhere with just a VR headset and controllers.
- Oculus Touch Controllers: Arm yourself with the award-winning Oculus Touch controllers. Your slashes, throws and grabs appear in VR with intuitive, realistic precision, transporting your hands and gestures right into the game
- Easy set up: The world is your arcade. Set up is easy whether you're at home or someplace new. Oculus Quest works with your environment, so you can play standing or sitting in spaces big or small.
- Incredible VR Games: Stop watching games and step into them. Whether you're dodging spells or slashing through enemy hordes, you've never been this close to the action.
- Guardian Helps Keep You Safe: Explore the universe without tripping over the coffee table. The Oculus Guardian system is designed to help you avoid nearby objects while you're in-game.
- Dual Game Mode i.e. VR and Normal Mode!
- Advanced live animated main menu!
- Stunning 3D graphics and Real Sound effects!
- Jump into roller coaster and start the ride!
- Runs smoothly on all devices!
- All-in-one VR: Simply set up the device with your Oculus mobile app and Oculus Quest has everything you need to explore VR, right out of the box
- Insight tracking: Oculus Insight tracking system instantly reflects your movements in VR without the need for any external accessories
- Touch controllers: Oculus Touch controllers precisely recreate your hands, their gestures and interactions, so every game is real enough to reach out and touch
- Beyond room-scale: Oculus Quest works with your environment, so you can play standing or sitting, in spaces big or small
- Top VR gaming library: Blast, slash and soar your way through the top library in VR gaming. Oculus Rift S lets you play hundreds of games and exclusives already available in the Oculus store, with so much more to come.
- Improved optics: Stare down the competition with next-generation lenses and a sharper display. Improved optics deliver bright, vivid colors and reduced “screen-door” effect.
- Ergonomic design: keep your head in the game thanks to a Halo headband redesigned with speed in mind. Rift S stays securely and comfortably in place with a quick twist of the Fit wheel, so it can take-or double take-your fastest reactions.
- Oculus touch controllers: arm yourself with our updated Oculus touch controllers. Your slashes, throws and grab appear in VR with intuitive, realistic Precision, transporting your hands and gestures right into the game.
- Oculus insight tracking: take a step forward with Oculus insight. It translates your movements into VR No matter which way you're facing and provides room-scale tracking without external Sensors.
- Lighthouse tracking - base station 1.0 provides up to 160 sq. Feet of play space for those that demand the best in Vive VR gaming.
- Crystal-clear graphics - see the virtual world through a 2880 x 1700 combined Pixel resolution. All-new LCD panels reduce the distance between Pixels, minimizing the screen-door effect.
- Flip-up design - go easily between reality and virtual reality with the flip-up design, without disrupting your VR journey.
- Vive port - Get the most out of VR with Infinity. Enjoy unlimited access to hundreds of VR games, apps, and videos.
- Vive reality system - Vive reality system lets you navigate seamlessly between virtual experiences. Discover new content, launch titles from your library, play a video, or browse the web.
- Bundle includes PlayStation VR headset, PlayStation camera, PlayStation VR Move controllers, Demo Disc 3.0 Disc, Blood & truth disc and everybody’s golf VR game voucher
- Battle through the crime-ridden London underworld as elite soldier Ryan marks in your deadliest mission yet to save your family from a ruthless criminal empire
- Step on to the course like never before in the most immersive everybody’s golf experience yet
- Personal Viewing: The littlest, big screen. Crystal clear optics and state-of-the-art 3D graphics make your headset feel more like a personal theater
- Viewing with Friends: Watch with friends. Meet up in VR with friends and fans from around the world to catch live sports, concerts, or just your favorite TV show
- Portable & Easy to use: Ready when you are. Experience portable, all-in-one VR. That means no PC, phone, wires or hassles
- Controller: Effortless control. Whether it's navigating to your favorite shows or to a far-off land, the intuitive controller makes getting there a cinch
- Built-In Audio: Surrounded by sound. Spatial audio drivers are built right into the headset, providing dramatic, immersive sound without the need for bulky or tangled headphones. Oculus Go also features a 3.5 mm audio jack
- Innovative HD gamplay with dog family animations and police dog games
- Amazing sound effects and virtual dogs effects from virtual dog family games
- Highly engaging wild animal games
- Multiple levels with different challenges in dog simulator games
- Smooth control and amazing movements in 3D jungle games
- Bundle includes Playstation VR headset, Playstation camera, Demo disc 3.0, vouchers for: ASTRO Bot Rescue mission, Everybody's golf VR, Playstation VR worlds, Skyrim VR, Resident Evil 7
- Playstation VR aim controller is compatible with the elder scrolls V: Skyrim VR.
- Playstation dual shock wireless controller, Playstation move motion controllers, Playstation gold wireless headset, and playstation platinum wireless headset are compatible with Astro Bot rescue mission, everybody's golf VR, playstation VR worlds.
- Harrowing 360˚ graphics based on the scenery and storylines of blockbuster films
- Pulse-pounding, immersive campaigns
- Includes the IR controller, VR headset and a peripheral attachment – simply download the free app to your smartphone and play
- Endless Mode allows play to continue past the campaign
- Compatible with iOS and Android smartphones