High-end VR headsets have finally made it into the hands of consumers. For the uninitiated, VR refers to the computer-generated simulation of a 3D environment that you can access using a VR headset. A VR headset immerses you in a digital environment that you can interact with using gloves fitted with sensors or hand controllers. With VR, you can climb virtual mountains, explore stunning landscapes, zoom in to any location with virtual Google Earth, and the list goes on and on.
These days, it’s hard to be on the internet and not seeing some news about the impact of VR on just about any industry. Previously, the VR technology has for the most part focused on gaming and entertainment. There is a new wave and start-ups have decided to go the fitness route. Something funny happened when gamers began playing games in VR: they broke a sweat while dodging, hitting and jumping over imaginary opponents. This inadvertently made them get a workout, making it an unexpected but welcome benefit of VR gaming.
The importance of working out can’t be stressed enough. Lifting weights, cycling or jogging could save you up from coronary heart diseases, diabetes and other obesity-related unplesantries.
Is Getting Fit With VR Games Better Than Going to the Gym?
This newfound technology is causing a stir in the fitness industry, and why not? Going to your local gym can get boring over time. Same place, same trainers, same routines, same training partners…you get the drill. Statistically, over 80 percent of folks who sign up for a gym membership quit after a few months. Sure, you can listen to music, podcasts or audio books while working out but that may not be enough motivation. That’s where VR chips in. It gives you tangible goals that will motivate you by bringing out your sense of competitiveness. With VR, you won’t have to worry about going to the gym. Instead, the gym will come to you.
Though several other virtual trainers and simulators have tried to woo gym-goers in the past, VR headsets have made the hugest impact. VR games break the monotony of running on a treadmill or sitting on a stationary bike. It makes fitness to not seem like exercise – simple and fun. Thanks to the fully immersed gamified experience, VR games make you want to work out harder than you normally would.
If you find gym environments rather off-putting, we have a solution for you! To get you started, I have prepared a list of VR games that can really pack a fitness punch. If you have a high-end HMD, you can play these 5 games and begin your fitness journey today!
Thrill of the Fight
Boxing has been proven to be a quick way to get in shape. Designed for room scale VR, Thrill of the Fight may not have the Vegas setting or crowds cheering you on, but it does have everything fit about boxing. Battle unique challengers with their own techniques by blocking blows, swinging jabs, punching, ducking and dodging punches. If you don’t experience a burning sensation after the game, then you’re simply not playing it right. Some people may argue that punching in the air is not as effective as punching a bag which is not true. When you punch a bag, your target is not just hitting the bag. Rather, the repetitive motion and using the same muscles creates the fatigue and burn in your shoulders, arm and core. Besides punching, this game lets you twist and rotate your body. A 20-minute session with Thrill of the Fight lets you burn over 350 calories.
VR games don’t have to be boring, and thanks to Hologram, they no longer are. This game might be dreadful when starting out, but with time, you will appreciate the process. Most trainers incorporate it in the final stage of a training sesh. Holopoint is similar to HIIT as it targets many muscles. It combines the following exercise to keep you fit: fast-paced spinning, rowing motions targeting your shoulders and back, dodging and twisting that hit your core, and complete body motion and alertness to give you lunge-like motions targeting your legs. See this standing/room scale game as a high-intensity internal workout session. A solid 20-minute session with Holopoint will burn 400 calories or more.
Stationary exercise bikes can be boring, but VirZoom makes things fun with a suite of bike-ready VR arcade games. VirZoom promises to transform every workout into an adventure. It brings VR to indoor exercise bikes with Discover SE3 tablet consoles, but doesn’t ship with a VR headset. This means that you will have to buy yourself a PSVR, HTC Vive, Gear VR, Google Daydream or Oculus Rift in advance to use it on your own stationary bike. For an immersive workout experience, you can drive a racecar, kayak, hop on a helicopter or ride a horse through a digital world. The faster you pedal, the faster your horse runs. The resistance buttons serve as game play buttons. The ability to set up exciting Virtual Reality competitions and a steady stream of new content will keep you engaged and fit.
Guided Meditation VR
This VR relaxation app is like a personal trainer for your mind – it lets you recharge in custom-built exotic locations across the world. You can download the app on your Gear VR, HTC Vive, Windows Mixed Reality, HMD Oculus Go or Oculus Rift. By exploring new enticing surroundings anywhere in the world (300+ meditation spots and 20+ environments), you will expand your mind without ever leaving your room. Whether you want to be still in nature or search for more energy, there is a custom virtual meditation made to address your unique needs. If you are undecided, Guided Meditation VR will recommend the perfect relaxation technique for you. Bring joy, peace and tranquility back into your daily life.
Get your dancing shoes on; you’re going to enjoy this game! If you played Audiosurf as a teen, then you’ve got an idea how this game works. Audioshield lets you experience your entire music collection in VR. You can use their extensive library, or load up your favorite music. This fast-paced game gives you decent beats and cool light show to warm you up before doing those intense workouts. Audioshield makes you perform a wide range of motion movements like making rapid-fire presses, swinging your arms and making side lunges. Audioshield lets the beat glide smoothly for mellow part of the songs, and then plays upbeat beats for double-shield, cross-body and high-altitude hits. Playing Audioshield for only 20 minutes will let you burn over 150 calories. To turn this warm-up game into a lean muscle builder, try wearing some wrist weights.
Often, going to the gyms feels like just another chore. And it’s not just the physical effort, but because working out in a small enclosed space while staring at blank walls is the textbook definition of boring. A while back, the idea of being able to play your favorite game while getting a real work out was nothing but a pipe dream. Thanks to VR, the cutting-edge technology has opened up the fitness world to a new level with immersive VR workout games. Each of the 5 fun and engaging games discussed in this post provides you with a multi-tiered approach, incorporating innovative technology meant to get your body moving, and exercises focusing on specific muscle groups.
- Experience total immersion with 3D positional audio, hand tracking and easy-to-use controllers working together to make virtual worlds feel real.
- Explore an expanding universe of over 500 titles across gaming, fitness, social/multiplayer and entertainment, including exclusive releases and totally unique VR experiences.
- Enjoy fast, smooth gameplay and immersive graphics as high-speed action unfolds around you with a fast processor and immersive graphics.
- Travel universes in blockbuster fantasies, scare yourself witless in horror adventures or squad up with friends to save the universe.
- Come together in incredible social spaces and multiplayer arenas as you take in live events with friends and family, find your new workout crew or join adventures with fellow players.
- Next-level Hardware - Make every move count with a blazing-fast processor and our highest-resolution display
- All-In-One Gaming - With backward compatibility, you can explore new titles and old favorites in the expansive Quest content library
- Immersive Entertainment - Get the best seat in the house to live concerts, groundbreaking films, exclusive events and more
- Easy Setup - Just open the box, set up with the smartphone app and jump into VR. No PC or console needed. Requires wireless internet access and the Oculus app (free download) to set up device
- Premium Display - Catch every detail with a stunning display that features 50% more pixels than the original Quest
- Get the epic new Asgard’s Wrath 2 included (a $59.99 value)* when you buy Meta Quest 3 128GB*.
- Dive into extraordinary experiences with a mixed reality headset that transforms your home into an exciting new playground, where virtual elements blend into your actual surroundings.
- It’s the most powerful Quest yet*, featuring next-level performance with more than double the graphic processing power of Quest 2. (*Based on the graphic performance of the Snapdragon XR2 Gen 2 vs Meta Quest 2.)
- Experience more immersion with dazzling visuals with the 4K+ Infinite Display (a nearly 30% leap in resolution from Quest 2) and rich 3D audio with enhanced sound clarity, bass performance and a 40% louder volume range than Quest 2
- Reach out and touch virtual worlds with Touch Plus controllers that give you fine-tuned precision, realistic sensations and more intuitive interactions. You can even navigate without controllers with Direct Touch that follows your gestures, so you can use just your hands to find your way.
- THE ULTIMATE IMMERSIVE LEARNING EXPERIENCE - Go into the depths of space and time with an 80 page interactive book. Explore the science behind our planet, solar system, galaxy, universe, and more as each spread comes to life in virtual and augmented reality!
- LEARN, PLAY, EXPERIENCE! - This layered learning experience provides the prime opportunity to absorb information across various channels and mediums, ensuring improved retention of knowledge!
- TANGIBLE PLAY - Explore hands-on learning through a variety of physical crafts and activities incorporated throughout the book!
- VR GOGGLES INCLUDED - Includes a pair of hands-free goggles to create an immersive learning experience. Compatible with all smart phones with access to Google Play store and Apple iOS app store. All smart phone mobile devices have been tested to fit into the goggles, including “max” and plus size phones. Goggles not compatible with tablets.
- WHAT'S IN THE BOX? - The 21 piece set includes all the materials you need to accomplish games, activities, puzzles, crafts and more to foster play through learning with this interactive educational science kit for kids.
- THE ULTIMATE GIFT EXPERIENCE! Discover our vast oceans with over 96 pages of interactive content as we explore the beauty and complexity behind oceanic creatures in deep sea wildlife in stunning virtual reality!
- INTERACTIVE & IMMERSIVE! Take a deep submarine dive, swim with great white sharks, jellyfish, whales, dolphins, penguins and more as we explore every major aquatic creature with over 30 immersive experiences in VR.
- WHAT'S IN THE BOX? This deluxe gift set includes a 96 page interactive book, with a set of collectible scratch art to create your very own vibrant ocean animal art, along with a pair of VR goggles!
- VR GOGGLES INCLUDED! Includes a pair of hands-free goggles to create an immersive learning experience. Compatible with all smartphones with access to Google Play store and Apple iOS app store.
- Recommended for Ages 8 years to 13 years.
- IMMERSIVE LEARNING EXPERIENCE – Virtual reality brings this 80-page book to life! Explore the science behind how the largest land animals that ever lived ruled the world with over 30 immersive activities.
- LEARN, PLAY, EXPERIENCE! - This layered learning experience provides an opportunity to absorb information across various learning stages and mediums, ensuring improved retention of knowledge!
- STEP-BY-STEP VIDEOS - Enter augmented reality as pictures turn to video right on the page! Develop the skills and confidence to perform science experiments, then enter Professor Maxwell's virtual reality lab to see science in action!
- WHAT'S IN THE BOX? - This 60-piece set includes everything you need to foster play through learning, including VR goggles!
- VR GOGGLES INCLUDED - Includes a pair of hands-free goggles to create an immersive learning experience. Compatible with all smartphones with access to Google Play store and Apple iOS app store. All smart phone mobile devices have been tested to fit into the goggles, including “max” and plus size phones. Goggles not compatible with tablets.
- IMMERSIVE LEARNING EXPERIENCE! Dig out a T-Rex fossil, erupt a volcano, build your own solar system, and grow your own crystals!
- LEARN, PLAY, EXPERIENCE! This layered learning experience helps children absorb information across various learning stages, ensuring improved retention of content!
- OVER 35 VIRTUAL REALITY EXPERIENCES! Discover dinosaurs, travel through space, visit volcanoes, explore crystal caves, and more!
- WHAT'S IN THE BOX? 50 piece set with 4 unique hands-on projects!
- VR GOGGLES INCLUDED! Includes a pair of hands-free goggles to create an immersive learning experience. Compatible with all smartphones with access to Google Play store and Apple iOS app store. All smart phone mobile devices have been tested to fit into the goggles, including “max” and plus size phones. Goggles not compatible with tablets.
- 【LEVEL UP FASTER】Overall the game has twenty-levels for you to work though in order to unlock everything Real VR Fishing has to offer. This is again where your chosen difficulty comes in, as the higher level you play it at the more XP and cash is given for your fish.
- 【SIT DOWN AND IMMERSE YOURSELF】Real VR Fishing is designed to be beginner-friendly. It offers three difficulty levels, which support each other in the degree of visual aids. you'll be able to cast away to reel in the big ones! play through different fishing tournaments as you play! unlock new fishing rods, new lures, and new fish as you level up through the game! over 30 different fish on 5 different water ways and 5 different fishing rods!
- 【A SOLID FISHING EXPERIENCE】Fishing on Oculus Quest 2 vr console catching fish,You can fish with live or artificial bait and in fresh or salt water, level up when you catch fish, and unlock new areas and equipment. Earn money to buy higher quality fishing rods and bait, which in turn hook bigger and rarer fish.
- 【TECHNICAL IMPROVEMENT】If the fish is in a “rage state” and splashing around, you need to slow your reeling down and anticipate, if the line will be too tight or slack when it finishes throwing its tantrum.Therefore our rod has enough lenth and room for you to handle all these actions like you fishing as real.
- 【FISHING IN VR QUEST 2】The fishing simulation Real VR Fishing not only helps you relax. It is also a small technical miracle.
- THE ULTIMATE GIFT EXPERIENCE! Discover the animal kingdom like never before, with over 96 pages of interactive content that comes alive in virtual reality!
- INTERACTIVE & IMMERSIVE! Ride with elephants, hang out with gorillas, and explore everything from mammals to arachnids with over 40 immersive experiences in VR.
- WHAT'S IN THE BOX? This deluxe gift set includes a 96 page interactive DK book, including a set of 5 animal scratch art including tools, along with a pair of VR goggles!
- VR GOGGLES INCLUDED! Includes a pair of hands-free goggles to create an immersive learning experience. Compatible with all smartphones with access to the Google Play store and Apple iOS app store.
- Recommended for Ages 8 to 99 years.
- DEXED - An on-rails VR shooter where DEXterity is a must
- Bandit 6 Combined Arms - Combining all the action of being a tail gunner in WW2 and fighting with stationary turrets on beachheads in Bandit 6 Salvo
- Unearthing Mars - VR adventure game set on the mysterious Red Planet. Fight, drive, experience a spaceflight simulation and much, much more
- Fated - an immersive game with stunning visuals, showcasing the best that VR has to offer. Fated has a strong story-driven, narrative experience that focuses on emotion
- Korix - one of the only PSVR real-time strategy games