Virtual reality is slowly but surely making its way to the top. After a lot of enthusiasm and hype since the launch of Oculus Rift in 2012, VR has died out a bit. But we are seeing a quick resurgence in popularity again, especially with new VR games coming to life such as Half-Life: Alyx.There are still some issues with VR headsets; namely, they tend to cause nausea after prolonged use. Additionally, some systems require a lot of wiring, although there are some portable options available. And some editions of VR headsets might not fit everyone’s budgets.
But we can probably say that VR is the future of gaming and the future of our society. There are three main types of VR headsets:
We’ve taken a look at each of them and analyzed which ones are the best for 2020. If you’re looking to dip your toes into VR, here are some of the best VR headsets for 2020.
Best VR Headsets for 2020
The Best Option for PC: Valve Index VR Full Kit
The first VR is also the most recent entry. It’s the Valve Index VR, which was developed by Valve in the hope of becoming the go-to VR headset. Have they achieved their goal?
In many ways, yes, although the newest addition doesn’t come without faults. Valve Index is probably the best VR experience for PC at the moment. Valve has plenty of experience in the VR field already. They already developed the tracking system behind HTC Vive, and now they come to the table with Valve Index.
Valve Index has the widest FOV options out of all the VR headsets up to now. This brings a much more realistic experience that is also customizable. Additionally, the audio is exceptional. You’ll feel the world around you alive when you use this headset. The controllers are fantastic, as they are equipped with the latest, pressure-sensitive controllers. These give you the control you need for a better experience.
Many people will find this set quite expensive, though. If you buy the full set, it’s the most expensive on the market. It also requires a lot of wiring. But in the end, if you’re looking for the best VR experience for PC at the moment, Valve Index is the way to go.
- Adjustable FOV sliders.
- Exceptional audio experience.
- Futuristic controllers with sensitivity to pressure.
- Realistic experience.
- Not wireless.
The Best Standalone VR Headset: Oculus Quest
- All-in-one VR: Simply set up the device with your Oculus mobile app and Oculus Quest has everything you need to explore VR, right out of the box
- Insight tracking: Oculus Insight tracking system instantly reflects your movements in VR without the need for any external accessories
- Touch controllers: Oculus Touch controllers precisely recreate your hands, their gestures and interactions, so every game is real enough to reach out and touch
- Beyond room-scale: Oculus Quest works with your environment, so you can play standing or sitting, in spaces big or small
Oculus Quest is probably the best choice when it comes to price, versatility, and performance. It’s a standalone device that doesn’t require any wiring at all. This also means you don’t need an expensive PC or smartphone to run it. You get the premium experience right out of the box, without additional costs and external factors.
It comes with a Snapdragon 835 processor and a 1440 x 1600 OLED display. Once you get the set ready, you’ll be experiencing the VR experience in a matter of seconds. All you need are some apps from the Oculus store, and you’re ready to go. The Oculus library comes with an impressive array of apps to choose from.
The biggest shortcoming of this headset is that it only lasts for about 2-3 hours before it needs charging. This means that after every session of using the set, you’ll need to charge it again. There’s also some minor leakage at the bottom of the headset, although that’s not a lot of leakage, and it doesn’t ruin the experience.
- A flawless standalone experience.
- Impressive display.
- Easy to use, highly portable.
- The battery only lasts for 2-3 hours.
VR Headset with the Best Display: HTC Vive Pro
- COMPLETE PREMIUM VR PACKAGE - Includes VIVE Pro Headset, 2x SteamVR Base Stations (v1.0), and 2x VIVE Controllers (v1.0)
- STEAM VR TRACKING V1.0 - Precision movement tracking in a highly interactive space up to 11'5" x 11'5"; seated, standing, or room-scale
- BREATHTAKING GRAPHICS - Dual-AMOLED displays with a combined 2880 x 1600 resolution for unparalleled graphics, text, and textures
- HI-RES-CERTIFIED AUDIO - Hi-Res, high-impedance headphones and 3D spatial sound to hear everything in the highest fidelity possible
- ENGINEERED FOR LONG PLAY - Easy on and off, comfortable weight distribution, and accommodation for a wide range of head sizes, vision types, and even glasses
One of the best VR headsets for 2020 is the HTC Vive Pro headset. It’s certainly a worthy alternative for the Valve Index, and it has some advantages over it. First of all, the display. It’s perhaps the best display on the market at the moment. It features Dual-LED Amoled displays with a 2880 x 1600 resolution. This allows for a very smooth visual experience, brighter colors, a high refresh rate, and a 130-degree FOV.
The HTC Vive Pro is also very versatile. You can combine the headset with Valve Index’s controllers, giving you a nice option if you want. If you already own an HTC headset, you can only buy the new controllers from the Valve Index package to get the best of both worlds. There’s also an option to go wireless, as you can buy a wireless adapter separately.
The HTC Vive Pro is still quite an expensive package. But if you’re looking for performance and a quality display, you can’t go wrong.
- Amazing Dual-LED Amoled display.
- Great performance.
- Quite expensive.
Budget VR Headset: Oculus Rift S
- Top VR gaming library: Blast, slash and soar your way through the top library in VR gaming. Oculus Rift S lets you play hundreds of games and exclusives already available in the Oculus store, with so much more to come.
- Improved optics: Stare down the competition with next-generation lenses and a sharper display. Improved optics deliver bright, vivid colors and reduced “screen-door” effect.
- Ergonomic design: keep your head in the game thanks to a Halo headband redesigned with speed in mind. Rift S stays securely and comfortably in place with a quick twist of the Fit wheel, so it can take-or double take-your fastest reactions.
- Oculus touch controllers: arm yourself with our updated Oculus touch controllers. Your slashes, throws and grab appear in VR with intuitive, realistic Precision, transporting your hands and gestures right into the game.
- Oculus insight tracking: take a step forward with Oculus insight. It translates your movements into VR No matter which way you're facing and provides room-scale tracking without external Sensors.
If you’re working on a budget, then the Oculus Rift S is certainly the one to satisfy your needs. The best thing about this headset is that it comes with support for both Oculus apps and PC VR apps. So the Oculus Rift S is very similar to the Oculus Quest, only that it doesn’t come with wireless support.
But for the money asked, the Oculus Rift S is certainly worth a consideration. It has a 2560 x 1440 resolution and impressive refresh rate of 80Hz, so you still get a good performance out of it. You’ll get a very stable performance out of this headset.
The downside is that it’s not wireless. If you want a wireless option, then the Oculus Quest is the one to go with. But for a budget-friendly option, the Oculus Rift S represents a no-brainer.
- Great performance.
- Access to the Oculus app library.
- Not wireless.
For Playstation Lovers: Playstation VR
- Discover virtual reality worlds with over 200 games and experiences with PlayStation VR
- powered by cutting-edge technology, PlayStation VR transports players from their homes into the heart of immersive virtual reality games and experiences
- through High visuals, 3D audio and intuitive controls, PlayStation VR players live out their epic gaming dreams - from high-octane racing and battling dragons, to exploring deep space and coming face-to-face with nerve-shredding horror
- with everything you need to get started in one box - PlayStation VR headset and PlayStation Camera
- includes 5 game download codes: VR Worlds, ASTRO Bot rescue mission, Skyrim VR, everybodys golf, Resident Evil 7
The Playstation VR brings the virtual reality experience to PlayStation lovers. if you own Playstation 4, then this package will bring you everything you need: a flawless VR experience with some interesting games to go with it. There is a decent library of games currently VR-ready for the Playstation 4. And the best thing about it is that the VR will be ready for PS5 if you’ll upgrade in the future. This was confirmed by Mark Cerny, the lead architect for PS5, in an interview with Wired.
Perhaps the biggest downside of this set is the low resolution. But for the money asked, this headset will bring an excellent VR experience to your Playstation.
- Good price.
- Great selection of VR-ready games.
- PS5 compatibility.
- Low resolution.
The Rest of the Best VR Headsets for 2020
The above are some of the best options for 2020, although there are some additional options we didn’t mention.
These are our best VR headsets for 2020. Make your pick, and enjoy the VR experience right now.