Standalone VR headsets are slowly, but surely, becoming more popular mainly because they don’t need to be tethered to a PC or smartphone in order to deliver a virtual experience. These self-contained headsets come with built-in processors, sensors, display, battery and memory to make them work. Because they are uncabled, you aren’t limited to the gaming space to use. This is Great News!
Although standalone VR headsets are not as powerful as their tethered counterparts, they are more affordable and offer a fantastic gaming experience. They also offer a more powerful VR experience than mobile VR. Some standalone VR headsets are good for creatives while others are good for movies or less interactive games. Either way, the goal is to find a set that works best for your need.
Best Standalone VR Headsets for 2019
With various brands launching their own VR headsets, it may be an overwhelming experience to pick the right standalone VR headset. We reviewed lots of headsets from industry’s heavyweights like Facebook, HTC and Google to bring you a list of 5 standalone VR headsets that we feel are some of the best in the market. This list serves as a guide to help you pick the best headset for your unique needs.
- All-in-one VR: Simply set up the device with your Oculus mobile app and Oculus Quest has everything you need to explore VR, right out of the box
- Insight tracking: Oculus Insight tracking system instantly reflects your movements in VR without the need for any external accessories
- Touch controllers: Oculus Touch controllers precisely recreate your hands, their gestures and interactions, so every game is real enough to reach out and touch
- Beyond room-scale: Oculus Quest works with your environment, so you can play standing or sitting, in spaces big or small
- Oculus Quest requires your Facebook account to log in, making it easy to meet up with friends in VR and discover communities around the world.
The Oculus Quest is a new release from the Facebook-owned Oculus. It comes with an expansive game collection, comfortable controllers, and a cool design.
This is definitely a gadget for a serious gamer who wants the best visual and audio experience, and accurate tracking, all bundled up in a sleek headset. Let’s talk about design. It comes in a matte black color with an ergonomic design that sits comfortably on your head. You get nose cushioning that makes playing for long periods comfortable. It won’t leak light and the straps are adjustable
The resolution on the headset is beautiful and playing a 360-degree game with a refresh rate of 72Hz is just a fantastic experience without a glitch. The touch controllers are next level design. They mimic the action of your hands making playtime realistic with every touch. The insight tracking system reflects movements in VR without need for accessories. The Oculus Quest has beyond room scaling which adapts to your environment such that you can play standing or seated in your space. It comes with enough memory of 64GB to store enough content.
- Good storage and memory options.
- Long battery life.
- Great selection of game.
- Quite pricey.
- Controllers use AA batteries which drain fast.
HTC Vive Focus
HTC headsets are well known in the gaming world for packing the latest tech. Vive Focus users get access to Vive Wave and HTC open content platforms to access more games and videos.
The Vive Focus is one of the latest headsets to come with 6DoF (6Degrees of Freedom) that doesn’t need external sensor thanks to a dual front camera. The resolution on this set is 2880 × 1600 AMOLED display with a 110-degree field of view. You get VR controllers that have 3DoF and are Bluetooth operated.
These VR goggles come with a removable leather cushion that makes them comfortable to wear. Additionally, users can increase their memory up to 2TB thanks to a micro SD card slot. For a more immersive experience, the headsets are fitted with 3.5mm stereo audio jacks for plugging in earphones. Furthermore, Vive Focus comes with many software updates such as 6DoF controller modes and PC VR streaming functions.
- High-resolution screen.
- Built-in microphone.
- Expandable memory.
- Software updates for an improved experience.
- High price point.
Lenovo Mirage Solo
- STANDALONE VR HEADSET: Stow away the phones, expensive PCs and cumbersome cables and just experience awesome VR--without the extra hassle. With Worldsense technology, you can move naturally and truly explore your virtual world, free from external sensors
- COMFORTABLE DESIGN: Lenovo Mirage Solo's engineered to be so comfortable, you’ll forget you were wearing it. Artfully weight-balanced and coated with breathable, thick padding, it's adjustable to your precise measurements. Mirage Solo sports a stand-out look that begs to be worn, while gesturing to the future. VR has never been so appealing
- POWERFUL VR HARDWARE: Powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 Mobile VR Platform, the Lenovo Mirage Solo delivers untethered high-quality, immersive VR experiences with the ability to feature 6 degrees of freedom movement, 3D audio and 4K visuals with natural interactions
- HIGH QUALITY, CURATED VR EXPERIENCES: Lenovo Mirage Solo puts Daydream VR’s hundreds of incredible experiences at your fingertips–including YouTube, Netflix and much more. Access a whole new library of WorldSense-powered experiences, such as Blade Runner: Revelations, which lets you move about and interact with your environment as you search for clues to unravel a Replicant conspiracy
- RECEIVE A FREE COPY OF BLADE RUNNER: REVELATIONS: When you purchase the Lenovo Mirage Solo standalone VR headset.* Valid for 1 copy of the Blade Runner game from Google Play. Open to participants who have purchased and activated a Lenovo Mirage Solo with Daydream VR headset on or before December 31, 2018. Offer ends December 31, 2018 or until supplies last. Limit 1 per customer. Valid in the United States only. Offer not valid on previous purchases. Age restrictions apply. See Google Content Promotion Terms and Google Play Terms for more information. Promoter: Google LLC, 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, USA
Priding itself as the world’s first standalone virtual reality headset to feature WorldSense™, the Lenovo Mirage Solo lets you experience immersive VR without a separate smartphone or PC.
The Lenovo standalone VR headset offers 6 degrees of freedom movement, 3D audio and 4K visuals for a top-notch visual experience. With this set, Google Daydream is accessible with freedom of tons of games and apps at your disposal. The Mirage Solo offers an immersive un-tethered experience boasting a Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 Mobile VR Platform.
There is a lot you can do with this headset. With access to Google Daydream, it is a platform with an extensive collection. The design is sleek and comfortable. It’s breathable with thick padding and has adjustable strapping. You will also get super accurate position tracking and long battery life lasting up to three hours. The only downside is that if you have a small head, you will find them a tad bit heavy.
- Long battery life.
- Great design featuring high-quality visuals and audio.
- Access to high-quality content through Daydream.
- It’s a bulky headset.
- Doesn’t have built-in speakers.
- Personal Viewing: The littlest, big screen. Crystal clear optics and state-of-the-art 3D graphics make your headset feel more like a personal theater
- Viewing with Friends: Watch with friends. Meet up in VR with friends and fans from around the world to catch live sports, concerts, or just your favorite TV show
- Portable & Easy to Use: Ready when you are. Experience portable, all-in-1 VR. That means no PC, phone, wires or hassles
- Controller: Effortless control. Whether it's navigating to your favorite shows or to a far-off land, the intuitive controller makes getting there a cinch
- Built-In Audio: Surrounded by sound. Spatial audio drivers are built right into the headset, providing dramatic, immersive sound without the need for bulky or tangled headphones. Oculus Go also features a 3.5 millimeter audio jack
If you are looking for a mid-range priced VR headset, we suggest you got for the Oculus Go. It is affordable, easy to set up and use for beginners and pros alike.
Design wise, this headset is impressive. It comes with a nose guard that is comfortable and prevents light leakage. The fitting caters to many sizes with adjustable straps.
You will get a good resolution, 2560 × 1440 px- not the best, but at that price point, we aren’t complaining. The sound comes from built-in speakers with users having the option of using headphones. The Oculus controller is easy to use and makes playing realistic as they act as surrogates to your hand movement. Players get access to the Oculus content platform which is extensive for more games and applications. This headset comes in two variants; 32GB and 64GB options. The Oculus Go’s battery lasts 2 hours.
- Comfortable design.
- Wide range of content available.
- The battery takes long to recharge.
- The controller could be better.
Samsung Gear VR
- Be transported to amazing new worlds, in games, video and images / Use the intuitive controller that comes in the box to drop, point, select and Drag with a Wave of your wrist
- Supported Devices: Galaxy Note9 (Additional Adapter needed), Note8, Note FE, Note5 / Galaxy S9, S9+, S8, S8+, S7, S7 Edge, S6, S6 Edge, S6 Edge+ / Galaxy A8(2018), A8+(2018), A8 star
- International Version with 1-month seller warranty / Exactly same device as US version / English Manual Enclosed / Plug & Play Device / No addtional device setting needed
- Galaxy Note9 requires a new adapter to be sourced free of charge from Samsung Customer Service at 1-800-SAMSUNG
The Samsung Gear VR standalone headset is a perfect buy for Samsung Smartphone users who want to experience social activities, hang out and play videos online.
The Samsung Gear VR is compatible with several Samsung phones have over 600 games and can stream 360 videos. Samsung Gear is powered by Oculus, which only means you are getting a good deal. Oculus is a leader in VR hardware and software maker. You will be able to watch 2D, 3D, and 360-degree content when you connect to your smartphone.
The headset comes with a controller that helps you navigate your VR experience with ease by adjusting sound and resolution. With a big library consisting of over 600 titles, you will never get bored of watching or playing your favorite games.
- The content library is big.
- Easy to set up and use
- Works only with Samsung devices.
We love standalone VR headsets because they are portable, easy to use and are more affordable when compared to PC VR. Depending on your budget and needs, you will find a variety to choose from. A good headset will have good resolution, sound, and battery life. We highly recommend the Oculus Quest if you are not on a tight budget, and the Oculus GO is a more affordable option. However, you aren’t restricted to any specific choice. All choices are at your disposal!